Without a doubt, effective teaching is not possible without building meaningful relationships with those around you. It is important for teachers to make connections and build relationships with students, staff in the school, and collaborate to create a sense of community in the classroom and school. I have found relationships to be the most effective way to instill passion for learning in students. Effective educators should foster an environment of respect, inclusion, trust, belonging, and safety. A classroom culture of laughter can be one of the most beneficial ways to engage students in learning. Classroom management practices should be reflective of a healthy environment, as behavioural concerns and management issues are more effectively solved when meaningful relationships have been built. In addition, teachers should collaborate as much as possible with other professionals to ensure lifelong curiosity, learning, and development does not get lost.
Transfer of knowledge, continuous lifelong learning, and critical thinking skills are much more possible if students are leaders in their journey. Rather than memorizing and regurgitating teacher-fed information, students should be developing key skills and knowledge that will allow them to find success beyond the classroom years. Effective knowledge-building occurs when students are engaged, interested, and responsible for their learning. Providing hands-on experiences, utilizing a variety of instructional approaches, offering opportunity for all types of learners, and incorporating authentic inquiry-based learning will allow students to develop skills and knowledge for future achievement.
Effective teachers work in environments that foster inclusiveness and suitability for all student learners. Differentiated instruction, integration of interventions such as technology, and avoiding a “one-size-fits-all” mentality should be strived for when teaching. Equity in the classroom is reliant on the belief of worth and dignity for all students. Inclusive classrooms promote acceptance and appreciation of diversity, helps all students feel sense of belonging, and models equality. Collaboration and co-management of the learning environment ensures all students are given the opportunity to reach their full potential.
What do I want to accomplish as a teacher?
- Encourage lifelong learning
- Motivate students to become critical thinkers
- Offer opportunity for student-based learning
- Provide a classroom environment reflective of student collaboration and teamwork
- Actively involve all students in learning
- Instill confidence in students
- Be representative of inclusiveness, equality, and equity
Why do I want to teach?
- Create opportunity
- Inspire future generations
- Encourage students to explore their own interests by offering choice
- Motivate students to be involved in their communities and develop interest in social issues
How am I going to achieve my goals?
- Provide a safe environment for students to intellectually grow and develop
- Work with other teachers and individuals working in education – be involved in continuing improvements and positive change
- Discover new techniques and innovative ways to teach – explore interdisciplinary teaching and encourage students to take pride in their interests